Thursday, August 18, 2011

Too yummy breakfast, OIAJ!
Lip smacking goodness! Two things, I had a great breakkie, and I cleaned up my white chocolate dream. Oatmeal In A Jar (OIAJ), never fails to give the day a great kick start. In it, 1/3 cup Quaker quick oats, 1/2 cup Almond breeze vanilla, cinnamon, 1 nectarine.
Lunch was decided upon in 2 minutes and made in 5 minutes. 2 slices of grilled Seattle brown loaf. One topped with a mixture of Athenos garlic hummus, tuna in mineral water and black olives. The other with 1 slice of WeightWatchers cheese and black olives.

After that, baby went for a grooming as his birthday is tomorrow!! I am SO excited, cos' Mummy told me to try and bake his cake this year as it would be more meaningful. He is my source of happiness. This is his after-grooming look :)
The weather was crazily warm and my house keeps getting electric trips. Broddy and I were home alone, and we had dinner together in natural sunlight, or sunset light rather. I made multi-grain abalone porridge! Inspired from one of the Korean abalone porridge I've seen. Sharing the excellent recipe here. It was relatively thick by the way, because my pot was too small for two people's portion. Most of my cookware are miniature, oops.

Abalone multi-grain porridge
serves 2-3

1/4 cup Japanese sushi rice
1/4 cup multi-grains (I used Nutrimax's)
1-2 tablespoon Japanese sweet rice (glutinous rice for sticky texture)
1 can of Abalone, sliced (I'm faithful to New moon)
1 small carrot, diced
2 bunches of Shanghai greens, diced
1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
White pepper
Wolfberries, as much as you like
2 tablespoon sesame oil+ 1 tablespoon
Bragg's liquid aminos, for drizzling (or soy sauce)
White sesame seeds, for garnish

1. Combine rice and grains, with 1.7 cup of water and cook.
2. In a pot, stir fry abalone slices with 2 tablespoon sesame oil.
3. Add cooked rice, mix with abalone and add 3-4 cups water.
4. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer, lid on for 30 minutes or so. Check and stir to prevent sticking, do not stir too much.
5. Once porridge is almost of desired texture, stir in carrot and greens.
6. After 5 minutes, add white pepper and sugar. Stir to dissolve.
7. Spoon porridge into 2-3 bowls, drizzle 1 tablespoon sesame oil, Bragg's, and top with wolfberries and white sesame seeds.

SERVE!

*Note: Soaked the wolfberries in hot water for a couple of minutes before using.

The Japan Diet book has taught me well. It is really satisfying visually to have a colorful food appeal, and it propels deeper into satisfaction when the taste matches up. My brother and I enjoyed it completely.

After dinner, we sat in the living room without electricity and chatted for a bit. An hour later, no sign of electricity and so we went out to play badminton in front of the porch. We played till it got dark around 740pm, and went to shower after that. It was kind of fun but the porridge cooking was so tedious. In fact this is my first attempt at porridge! I took 50 minutes to get everything done! Given that I had pre-cooked the rice in the mid-afternoon. Just happy anyways!

The night includes lounging in bed watching The Pupil at 8pm and Drop dead diva at 11pm, both on Channel 5. I'm quite the sucker for law. Love every aspect of it and after studying it for a year, law shows just make x100 more sense to me than it ever did.

xoxo. God bless.

PS. It's warm yam soy bean drink with hugga bear honey grahams for supper. Night fuel.

No comments: