Saturday, May 26, 2012

Cucumber for you?

26.05.2012- Craving cucumber. 

*Cucumber when taken together with carbohydrates, speeds up the digestion and reduces the absorption of it.

Ola! Today I woke up and told myself, enough. All that munching here, munching there, insubstantial meals. Felt like I was eating less but it was otherwise. Gained back the 2kg that I had lost. Felt depressed. Gosh this IS a vicious cycle. It wouldn't be if I just kept to clean eating. If you lived in the home that I am living in, you would feel that just the mere sight of junk/processed food is torture in itself.

So I made myself some delicious brunch, Chinese style! I do not know why people have that misconception that I do not know how to cook Chinese food!! Grew up eating it, my grandfather was a fantastic cook, mummy inherited some skills and I inherited the same. So why can't I cook huh! This stir fry brown rice vermicelli was scrumptious with broddy and mummy's nod of approval. Try it yourself to believe it! Recipe below...


Stir fry brown rice vermicelli with cucumber
serves 1, vegetarian

1 organic cucumber
1 handful of brown rice vermicelli
1 tablespoon dried shrimp + water used to soak
1 organic egg
1 teaspoon grape seed oil
1 heaping teaspoon minced garlic 
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
Himalayan rock salt, for sprinkling
Sugar, a pinch
White pepper, as preferred 
Black sesame seeds for garnishing, optional

1. De-seed cucumber, chop and sprinkle with salt. 
1. Soak brown rice vermicelli and dried shrimps separately in hot water till softened.
2. Drain vermicelli and set aside. Keep the water used to soak dried shrimps.
3. Add a teaspoon of oil to pan (I used grapeseed oil) and saute the dried shrimps till fragrant.
4. Add 1 heaping teaspoon of minced garlic and saute till fragrant.
5. Add cucumber and stir fry briefly. 
6. Add in the drained vermicelli, oyster sauce, white pepper, salt and sugar. 
7. Stir fry till fully incorporated and add in the egg. 
8. Add water for soaking dried shrimps as and when needed.
9. Turn off heat and fold the dish till all ingredients are well mixed.

DISH OUT AND SERVE. 

It is really easy to be distracted especially if you're living in Singapore, a food conscious society. You know what "food conscious" in my terms mean? It means we are aware of the food around us all the time. Exercising restraint is tough. Exercising in this current weather is equally tough. I'm still recuperating from the sudden flu and sore throat that hit me on Monday. 

There can be 101 excuses but don't ever allow yourself to become an excuse. Grab a friend, walk an extra mile. Little steps add up to one big step. Have fun and be well ya'll. Cheers!
xoxo. God bless.

No comments: