Thursday, August 4, 2011

A boring breakfast indeed, *sobs*. Yoplait natural yogurt topped crazily with cinnamon, a drop of maple syrup, Quaker Oatmeal squares and one Dole banana on the side.
The rainy afternoon did not dampen my plans for a therapeutic escapade in my backyard kitchen. Drunken banana coconut balls was on the menu. Why drunken? No they aren't alcohol-filled, just drowning in each other's flavors :) Recipe below. Adapted from here. 119 calories per golf-sized ball.
Before baking.
After baking.
Drunken banana coconut balls
Dairy-free, sugar-free
Makes about 15 golf-sized balls

3 egg whites
2 ripe bananas, mashed
4 tablespoons coconut butter, melted
1 tablespoon Quaker quick oats
2 -1/4 cup unsweetened dessicated coconut
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
pinch of sea salt

1. Combine them all in a bowl and form into golf-sized balls.
2. Bake in a pre-heated over of 160 degrees for 17 minutes.

For lunch I had planned to have brown rice. Shifted that plan over to dinner 'cos I got too lazy to go wash the rice. RA is acting up, hence the swollen painful joints. So I threw in a no-brainer theory of mine. That is, WHEN IN DOUBT, HAVE NUT BUTTER! Why? For one, it is thick and creamy. Two, it never fails to satisfy. Three, it is filling and healthy.

After having said that, here's lunch. A tapioca gluten/dairy/wheat-free hot dog bun stuffed with creamy PB, black olives and fresh spinach. On the side were okra (ladies finger) chips from Xndo. Love these chips. This meal is like my version of a hot dog bun with chips, only a million times more satisfying and beneficial to our body.
Check out the nutrition information for the okra chips. So healthy with 4.6g of fiber!!! Have you ever had chips these good? Since I had one serving, I have the other packed in my lock n lock for the next meal.
All I did in the afternoon was sit in my room and sip on hot water from my thermal flask. My back is actually hurting from sitting too long, but when I stand, my joints can barely take it. Snacked on some dried guava at 5pm. It was just behind me, so I rolled my chair over, and rolled back.

Dinner was so fun to prepare. I made this orange sesame dressing I got off some magazine that I cannot recall. I note things down in my recipe book all the time. So here's the deal. Stir-fry kai lan and crumbled wild rice tempeh in orange sesame dressing, served with germinated Japan-import short-grain brown rice, topped with teriyaki sprouted sunflower seeds.
I am going to buy this book called, The Japan Diet. Read a bit of it in BodyInc's library while doing my detox and it mainly emphasizes on a low-fat, high-carb diet. The word 'diet' is not a very attractive word because I assume most of us link it to deprivation. Low-fat, high-carb lifestyle sound better?

Basically, the Japanese are found to be the healthiest individuals on the earth with a longer lifespan compared to average people. Not only that, Japanese women are also a little more slender due to their eating habits which have been cultivated by the Japanese culture itself. As I have been trying to steer to a tad bit of gluten-free where I can, it basically includes a lot of rice as wheat contains gluten. In the book it shows how rice is actually beneficial and in fact not contributory to our waist-line. I'll share about it when I do get the book and read it. Can't believe I'm actually going to read a book (since magazines aren't books).

xoxo. God bless.

No comments: