Saturday, September 17, 2011

Today has been a rather emotional day. Although breakkie got off to a good start but some things happened in the morning while I was out at church that kinda got me out of my zone a little. I'm just kinda sensitive like that.

Breakkie was so sweet and delicious that I find such comfort in it. Notice how my flavors are always dessert-like? Zucchini bread oatmeal. This had 1/4 cup regular oats, 1/2 cup Almond breeze vanilla, 2 tablespoon vegan carob chips, 1/2 cup grated zucchini, 1 tablespoon maple syrup and cinnamon. This is is BEST version! Whoopie I got the measurements right. In just 291 calories, here's my amazing zucchini bread oatmeal! Delicious, nutritious and absolutely sweetness guaranteed! If you don't like overly sweet things, either reduce the amount of maple syrup or carob chips.
After getting back from church, I told myself to relax. Yes it was already my "lunch hour" and no lunch was in sight, good thing I wasn't hungry. Never cook with an angry/ emotional heart and mind. Relaxed a little more and got down to my planned lunch of grilled vegetable warm quinoa salad. It was fantabulous! Albeit a little salty (no added salt though, just natural ingredients). This is my recipe but do note the salty factors and omit them as you would, I'll drop hints :)
Grilled vegetable warm quinoa salad
serves one
vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free

1/4 cup quinoa
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoon water
1/4 Kallo yeast-free vegetable stock (I used 1/2! Bad move.)
1/2 zucchini, thinly sliced
1 baby eggplant, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
Generous sprinkles of black pepper
1 teaspoon or less of vegan basil pesto (I used a heaping teaspoon. Bad move II.)
3 pitted black olives, sliced (omit this as it is salty too! Bad move III)

1. Place quinoa, stock cube and water in a pan, bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
2. While it's cooking, mixed the sliced zucchini and eggplant with EVOO and black pepper.
3. Heat a grill at medium and grill the vegetables evenly on both sides.
4. Once quinoa and vegetables are done, toss together with pesto and black olives.
5. Lastly, add your toppings! I used Salty pepper nuggets of sunflower seeds and grains. Bad move IV!

Note: To reduce the saltiness, choose to omit either the stock cube or pesto.

Dinner was steamed veggies led! One thing I've learnt is that, there are times (more often than not!) where you will crave for comfort foods like cakes, crackers or what have you. Likewise, there WILL be times your body need and call out for fresh produce to balance it out. Now I'm not saying to go ahead and indulge in sinful cravings like a bottomless pit. Moderation is key and so is healthier alternatives like making your own 'healthified' version or reading nutrition labels. But nonetheless by not restricting ourselves, we are achieving a balance.

Exactly what I needed, a stack of fresh veggies! So I steamed 1/2 a broccoli floret, 1 carrot, 1/2 fresh Japanese sweet white corn kernels and added in 1 free range egg that was whisked with mirin and white pepper. Steam it over high heat for 10 minutes. On the side is Mary's organic wheat, gluten-free vegan herb crackers. Love the taste! SO herb-y.
I cooked dinner for broddy too, in fact I made his lunch. He had pea "risotto" for lunch and stir fry sweet sour brown rice bee hoon with veggies for dinner. A vegetarian day for him? You betcha! And guess what, he totally enjoyed it. We even spent the after going through vegan blogs while I explained to him the concept of sustainability.

Mummy and Daddy went to the country club for some members' dinner.
xoxo. God bless.

No comments: