Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Hola! Blogging first thing in the morning? Well I am! The past 5 days has been consisting of feasts, whether intentional or not. I feel so miserable because even though I have been exercising, but my stomach has surely been expanding. I can no longer fit into my jeans, it is THAT bad. So I'm sticking to dresses for now. I will NOT buy jeans of a larger size because it would be ridiculous.

In fact, today, the 5th of October is my sister's and daddy's birthday. So what does that mean? MORE food! I used to excited for occasions like these, but no longer. It is painful to sit in a restaurant, stare at the menu and go, I can't order this, I don't wanna eat that. I'd pack my food but it might dampen the mood a little. So... what do we do when that happens?

Here are some tips on eating outside/with friends and family. Some are inspired from books, some based on personal experience.

TIPS ON EATING OUT WITH COMPANY
  1. Play word search and find the safe words! Poached, steamed, boiled and baked. Grilled should be the last option. Sounds appalling? Well, I think of it this way. If foods have to be cooked so lightly, they had better be fresh as there will not be an heavy dressing to make up for the lack of freshness. You get to enjoy the pure natural flavor of the food, as nature intended.

  2. My GG Evon and I love to share our food. This way, we get to order a side dish, a main dish and a dessert without feeling like it is the end of the world after our meals. Happy belly, happy pockets too!

  3. Always ALWAYS ask for dressings/sauces on the side. You'll realize that you do not actually need as much that is given. Taste the dish without the dressing first, it is surprisingly flavorful sometimes.

  4. When with friends, be cognizant of what is going into your mouth. Don't eat just because. Eat because you know your body needs it. Identify when you are eating responsibly for your health and when your old habits may be kicking in. Desserts are always my weakness. Sometimes I order it even when I am stuffed.

  5. Lastly and most importantly, don't be afraid to love yourself! Tell your friends/restaurant staff your dietary restrictions or preferences. I have yet to come across someone who told me my dietary advice could not be implemented.
I am not perfect and still struggling. I do however find it a two-way help when I dispense some knowledge on being responsible for our own health and living for sustainability. I may help someone who reads it, and by typing it out I am affirming it within myself.

Today I made mini pancakes as a breakfast in bed for the family. Recipe from my nutritionist which rocked the morning. I tasted while cooking and when I used to make instant pancakes, the taste didn't actually differ! But boy does the nutritional stats. Here is the recipe.


Mini pancakes from heaven
makes 12
Flourless, gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free

1 1/2 cup blanched almond meal
2 eggs
1/4 cup agave ( I used 2 tablespoon agave, 2 tablespoon brown rice syrup)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea-salt
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
Crisco 0 calorie butter flavored spray, for cooking

1. Blend them all together in a high speed blender. Since I did not have one, I whisked them up and fully incorporated it into a paste.
2. Let is rest for 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Spritz the oil to evenly coat the pan and heat over medium-low, may vary.
4. Add the mixture to the pan. 1 tablespoon for 1 pancake.
5. Flip over when slightly browned on the bottom. These burn pretty quickly!
6. Once done, add your favorite fillings and toppings of choice.

These were my choice of toppings.
Daddy- Applesauce, cinnamon sugar
Sis- PB and banana
Broddy- Artisana raw cacao bliss and banana
Mummy- Kaya and butter

Fingers crossed that my day will be great.

xoxo. God bless.

No comments: