Friday, October 7, 2011

My meals over the past 2 days have been ever so random. Random timings, random combinations. So unlike me. I plan things to a 'T' and being spontaneous isn't my thing. But lookey here, I have come quite far. I'm mildly spontaneous.

Yesterday's breakfast. Fresh strawberries, kiwi and honeysuckle topped with honey almond butter and cinnamon. Almost raw.
Yesterday's "3 course lunch". Haha! First, a bowl of raw baby carrots. Secondly, kaia foods raw barbeque flavored kale chips. Thirdly, go raw's raw chocolate brownie. 100% raw.
I met my GG Evon yesterday to have some serious talk about some issues and spend some time together. After that we proceeded out and while we stayed out till 6-ish in the evening (yes, past my dinner time!), I felt totally cool about in. In fact, I had lunch at 2-ish. See, spontaneous.

I did however buy dinner back as I wasn't sure what I would like to make when I went home. So a trusty choice of Cedele. I got the tofu nut salad with tahini dressing. It had vegetables and red rice in it as well. To just make it a little more fulfilling, I topped it with mock bacon chips and vegan pesto.
.....................

Today I got up and had some lame breakfast of coconut water, Kind bar, 2 Enjoy life sugar cookies. It was pathetic. I miss my oatmeal. But while I'm trying to cleanse my body now, I'm not quite sure if that is a perfect morning start. I do miss it however.

Got down to lunch before rushing off to school. Made Raw Pad Thai salad from The Raw Detox Diet book. It was sensational if I should say so myself. Brother loved it and I had mummy's nod of approval. Recipe below.
After school which was around 2pm, Evon and I headed to town to kill time. We ended up killing LOTS of it, haha. For a snack, I had this pure red grape juice from Takashimaya's Hokkaido fair. I love how they bring in genuine Japanese products. This mini bottle costs $9.70 and tastes like red wine! Liquids is always good for the body. Be it water, soup or juices.
We walked the entire afternoon away, got a Ted Baker handbag (!!!) and I decided to head down to Brown Rice Paradise to get nutritional yeast. It is a substitute in cooking to attain that cheese-like flavor. Currently I'm starting to move away from things like eggs, dairy, yogurt, cheese and all these things that come from animals. I think it is a growing appreciation for animals and their rights. A love for nature and all things that come under it. A little more vegan in me, but I'm still me :)

Bought some other stuff there too. Raw cacao butter that comes in sachets, dark chocolate caramel cups, dairy and gluten-free "oreos" and from Petit Provenance, this little French store, I got balsamic cream. It is something new and I'm excited to try it!
We then had dinner at Cedele. See here's the thing. I wanted to have a sandwich but they ran out of my favorite choices of bread (pumpkin/wholemeal linseed). At the same time I wanted something sweet. I'm just conflicted like that.

Usually if I do not ascertain my taste buds well enough, I do notice that the binge monster emerges. I believe this is because my palate is not satisfied. Hence why I've stocked up on some pre-portioned dark chocolate. The raw book really recommends it as a phenomenal after-dinner snack and I do say so myself. I like how it isn't like regular milk chocolate, which I hate.

So after much contemplation I went ahead and ordered the legendary carrot cake which is supposedly the best in Singapore, and a side of chamomile tea. I asked them to warm the cake up for me. Took a bite and did some thinking. It was, nice. That is the word. Not heavenly or sensational. It was pleasing. Let me break it down here.

Daddy often buys cakes from all over the world, more often at London. They aren't any "specialized" cakes just the normal fruit/butter/cream cakes off Sainsburys counter. This carrot cake had some similar qualities in bite and flavor. Although London does have a fair advantage in it's richness. On hind sight, if regular Singaporeans haven't tasted these cakes from London, I reckon that Cedele's carrot cake being able to match up to their standards in words of a cake princess (ME), I'd say they are good for all to love.

Secondly, the layers of cream cheese did not entice me as much as I thought it would. I tasted... milk, I tasted... cow. Yes, Cedele does use selective organic ingredients for their baking, however, it's the idea that... lets just not dig deeper. I know people will get what I mean. In the name of veganism.
On to a happier note, lets end off with this best ever salad and its absolutely outstanding recipe. This is the tweaked version. I'm not at liberty to share an exact recipe from a copyrighted book.

Raw pad thai salad with a raw nut sauce
serves four
Raw, dairy-free, vegan

For the sauce:
1/2 cup raw almond butter (I used Marantha's)
1 1/2 tablespoon reduce sodium shoyu
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
2 tablespoon pure maple syrup
2 teaspoon sesame oil
2 tablespoon fresh lime juice (Juice of 3 small limes)
1/4 cup filtered water

Throw these guys into the blender and blend on high till fully combined. Should keep in the fridge for 2-3 days. Great for dipping/pouring on noodles etc.

For the salad:
3 cups organic purple cabbage (organic=pesticide free=safe for raw)
2 medium organic zucchini, sliced and chopped lengthwise
Organic romaine, chopped (as much as you want)
1 large carrot sliced and chopped lengthwise (I omitted this as I ran out of carrots)
A handful of fresh sweet basil, chopped

Toss the raw vegetables together and add the raw sauce over for a lip-smacking sensational lunch. You gotta taste it to believe it!

xoxo. God bless.

No comments: